Sumter County, founded in 1853, was named for Sumter, South Carolina, from whence many settlers came.  That name in turn honors Revolutionary War hero Thomas Sumter.  The original county seat was Adamsville, near Wildwood, where a log courthouse existed until the seat was relocated to Sumterville in 1858. At left is an engraving of the first Bushnell Courthouse. (circa 1886) Picture from the Florida Archives.
After several more moves, a permanent county seat was established in Bushnell.  This was originally a railroad stop, named in 1885 for J. W. Bushnell, a railroad surveyor.  The current Sumter County Courthouse was built by James Naim in 1913-14.

Previous Page                   List of all Historic Courthouse Pages                   Next Page